Thursday 6 March 2008

A working class vegetarian is something to be...

Had the radio (RTE 1) on in the background and my attention was drawn to a debate about vegetable consumption in Ireland. One person on a panel discussion felt that the consumption of vegetables was a class issue and I would certainly agree. Obviously costs and education are big factors. One of my favourite past times is taking the taking the escalator from the top floor of the Jervis centre in Dublin. This gives me a birds-eye view of the little cafe at the bottom of the stairs. You can be certain that about 90% of the finished plates will have the serving of side salad left untouched.

2 comments:

Jeremy said...

But which way Danny? I've a feeling that in the "developed" world eating veggies is something the relatively rich choose to do, and that seems to be the direction you're heading in, but I think you should come out and say it.

Of course in Ireland, as elsewhere, potatoes are not vegetables.

DanH said...

Hello Jeremy,
Although I didn't catch all of the radio discussion it was referring to traditional veggies (and salads) and not potatoes. That was an earlier posting.

I would have no problem stating that the rich choose to eat more vegetables or salad. I would also add that it is not necessarily because they have more money that enables them to do so, although somewhere back in the mists of time that would have been a factor. No doubt someone reared in a relatively rich household will develop attitudes and habits that make vegetables a regular and permanent feature of their diet. But I have family and friends here, who by no stretch of the imagination would be considered relatively rich, yet have more than enough money to spend on food and vegetables are just not on the agenda even though they are also likely to be aware of the health benefits.