Tuesday 2 October 2007

Embracing diversity and pluralism

My friend Luigi brought this interesting article in the Limerick Post to my attention recently. It describes how the 'Igbos of Nigeria now living in Ireland celebrated their New Yam Festival in style, patriotism, pride and vigour in Limerick.' What a wonderful way for new communities and groups to Ireland to continue their traditions and share them with their new neighbours and friends. Those involved are to be congratulated. Unfortunately, I see very little of this sort of thing happening around my own district. These are lost opportunities for cross-cultural sharing and learning. With so many new nationalities and communities to the north there must be huge potential for initiatives of this sort, such as events in schools. Hopefully, someone can prove me wrong and point me in the direction where these kinds of things are happening. Maybe I am reading the wrong newspapers, they seem to be more interested in 'bad news' about Irelands new arrivals. Shame!

Having spent some time in the Pacific, I am occasionally partial to a yam or two (one if I am in Tonga!). Does anyone know the name of the shop in Limerick where the yams where purchased?

No comments: