Friday 19 October 2007

Mapping for change

I don't believe I have posted on participatory GIS before but I thought I might take the opportunity to plug my old workhorse, the Development of Sustainable Agriculture in the Pacific (DSAP) Project. DSAP was one of a number of partners that participated in a collaboration to assist the communities on the island of Ovalau to document and map their natural resources and intangible and tangible cultural heritage. The exercise was part of an effort to help the island of Ovalau seek UNESCO World Heritage listing. You can read more about the exercise here.

I am very happy to be able to say that the collaborative exercise was recently recognised internationally with a World Summit Award for 2007.

I have previously posted on participatorty planning. I wonder if there have been any interesting applications of participatory GIS (PGIS) in a rural context here in Ireland.

No comments: